Parsons x Teen Vogue

September 16, 2017

[Below are assignments for my #ParsonsxTeenVogue 'Industry Essentials' Certificate Programme]

Thinking Like a Designer
Fashion at Work: Your Career Skills 

I just came across a job listing on Indeed.com for the position of 'Executive Features Editor' at The New York Magazine. 

New York Magazine is an incredible successful, impressive publication, and one that I can only dream of writing for. The role includes various responsibilities, namely assigning and editing features for print and digital, as well as managing numerous staff.

As an aspiring fashion journalist, the idea of being responsible for various sections of a magazine is both exciting and daunting. How could I develop this skill for creating and delegating? In my role as Fashion Editor of The University Times, I can begin by coming up with creative features and recruiting contributing writers to take them on. By then editing their work, I will begin to develop this skill.

Understanding Fashion Production
Assignment : Production Costs

I would sell the dainty ribbon-bracelet, of 100% silk, at just €6 to make a profit of €2.22.

If I were to sell lots of these bracelets to stores, I would sell it to them at a price that is a quarter of our "manufacturer's suggested retail price" in order to all for their own profit margin.

Royal Blue Silk Frayed Bracelet #1
100% pure silk —> (36” x 54”)/108 => 2” x 9” 
€48/108 = 45c per 2” x 9" fabric 
.33 hours @ €10
€3.33
Total production cost 
€3.78
20% profit
€0.76
Total cost plus profit
€4.54
Estimated retail price
€6


Royal Blue Silk Frayed Bracelet #2

100% pure silk —> (36” x 54”)/108 => 2” x 9” (online)
€45/108 = 40c per 2” x 9" fabric 
.25 hours @ €10
€2.50
Total production cost 
€2.9
20% profit
€0.58
Total cost plus profit
€3.48
Estimated retail price
€8

It is difficult to search for lower-priced products without sacrificing quality.  I found this assignment helpful as it taught me that the creator of a product must accommodate for their seller's profit margin as well as their own.

Assignment: Production Standards

I often find it difficult to find the right size in clothing. When I try pairs of jeans in different shops, my size changes because the 'standard' size is inconsistent.

This module taught me that brands allow for a standard deviation of 1/2 " in their measurements, which has helped me understand that designers must allow for human error when manufacturing their clothes.

By testing different sizes in shops, I realised that my size in a pair of jeans does not translate to a pair of shorts.

Assignment: Your Mockup

White cotton fabric --> €5.32 per metre
Black ribbon --> €0.40 per metre
Black cotton fabric --> €3.50 per half metre
1 hour worked --> €10
Total production cost --> €19.22
20% profit --> €3.84
Total cost plus profit --> €23.06
Estimated retail price --> €25


Working in Fashion Media
Assignment: Your Audience

My readers are primarily viewing my blog from the USA and Ireland. They find my blogposts through Google, coming across my posts by the keywords in the specific blogpost.

Traffic also comes through Instagram, and blogposts about celebrity style are the most popular.

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. I am not sure where you're getting your info, but great topic. I need to spend some time learning more or understanding more. Thanks for magnificent information I was looking for this info for my mission.
    postal address change online

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm personally a big fan of drfashionn blog. Thanks for sharing this post.
    clipping path
    clipping path service

    ReplyDelete
  3. Call HP Printer Repair Customer Support Service Number Ireland +353-1442-8988 For Fix HP Printer issue Online like Paper Jam, Installation, wife, Setup, Drivers Errors, network connectivity etc. Dial HP Printer Service Number Ireland.
    Visit Here: HP Printer Service Number Ireland.

    ReplyDelete

Pinterest

Sign Up for Updates

Follow

Instagram